White Christmas Parent Guide
Heaven help the mister who comes between me and my sister...
Parent Movie Review
On Christmas Eve 1944, soldiers assemble amidst war torn ruins to hear songs and recall the more peaceful holidays of home. But their Yuletide clam-dig is interrupted when bombs drop from overhead, throwing debris and scattering the men. Captain Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby) is unaware a wall is about to collapse on him until Private Phil Davis (Danny Kaye) throws him out of the way. Because the rescuer is injured in the act, Bob stops by the infirmary to thank the hero for saving his life and to express his indebtedness. Knowing the Captain is a talented entertainer; Phil grasps the opportunity to use his big cow eyes and wounded arm to persuade Bob to team up with him after the war.
The newly formed song-and-dance duo of “Wallace and Davis” hits post-war America by storm and before long is enjoying fame and fortune. The fellas soon meet sister act Betty and Judy Haynes (Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen), who are pursuing an entertainment career of their own. Eager for advice from the pros, these voluptuous dames have a plan, and plenty of angles (not to mention legs). It’s hard to keep track of who is manipulating whom when they all end up together at a ski lodge in Vermont, run by none other than the boys’ much loved former commanding officer General Thomas F. Waverly (Dean Jagger). As the story marches on, those familiar with Danny Kaye will delight in watching his quick and fluid physical style of comedy and that other guy, Bing somebody—he sings just swell.
Desiring to help their old army buddy, Bob and Phil scheme together to put on a little showbiz-style Christmas cheer. With buttermilk and sandwiches on standby, and enough singing and dancing to satisfy just about everybody, our happy throng prepares for a star-studded performance as well as some sugar-frosted romance.
Containing few content concerns, and brimming with Irving Berlin classics like “White Christmas,” “Sisters,” and “Blues Skies,” it’s a safe bet White Christmas will have all family members feeling warm and cozy this holiday season.Directed by Michael Curtiz. Starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, Vera-Ellen. Running time: 120 minutes. Theatrical release October 14, 1954. Updated July 17, 2017
Rating & Content Info
Why is White Christmas rated Not Rated? White Christmas is rated Not Rated by the MPAA
Former army buddies turned successful song-and-dance men team up with two beautiful aspiring entertainers at a ski lodge in Vermont. Romance, comedy, and Christmas cheer are on the ticket of this family friendly holiday musical classic.
Bombed-out ruins shown with background explosions. Men armed with rifles. Army troops come under attack, debris sails through air, and wall collapses—injuring character.
Sexual Content: B+
Men strip to undershirts and shorts while changing clothes. Many female characters wear leg-revealing dance costumes. Men cross-dress to perform musical number. Kissing shown between unmarried couples.
At least: A few minor insults, and 8 terms of Deity used in lyrics of song.
Alcohol / Drug Use: C+
Characters occasionally smoke cigarettes, pipes, and cigars. Alcohol served at meals and during party.
Page last updated July 17, 2017
White Christmas Parents' Guide
Some of the characters in this film go out of their way to help others in need. Does your family have any traditions that better your community during the Christmas season? Are there any you could start?
The talents of Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye transcend the decades, but alas, buttermilk as a beverage does not. Some tastes and traditions seem to die out between generations, for example my mother used to drink buttermilk but I never have. When did your family quit drinking this “refreshment”? (Did they ever? Do you still?)
The most recent home video release of White Christmas movie is October 14, 2014. Here are some details…Home Video Notes: White Christmas: Diamond Anniversary Edition
Release Date: 14 October 2014
The 1954 classic White Christmas releases on October 14, 2014, in a Diamond Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray/DVD/CD Combo Pack). Bonus extras include:
- Commentary by Rosemary Clooney
- Backstage Stories from White Christmas - The production boasted the #1 and #3 box office stars of its time and the director of Casablanca. It featured the most popular song in American history and became the highest-ranking film at the box office in 1954. From little-known production details to behind-the-scenes trivia, this segment offers insights about the timeless holiday classic.
- Bing Crosby: Christmas Crooner - Crosby's family members offer personal memories of the film and discuss the crooner's Yuletide connection. The piece also includes film historians sharing rare stories about Crosby and White Christmas and a visit to Crosby's hometown of Spokane, Washington.
- Danny Kaye: Joy to the World—Some people only know him as the silver screen's 'court jester,' but Danny Kaye was a true humanitarian who helped children around the world as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador. This moving tribute sheds light on the multi-talented actor, who won two honorary Academy Awards®, including the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, and spread joy beyond the Hollywood spotlight.
- Irving Berlin's White Christmas - Many people don't know all of the lyrics to the most popular Christmas song of all time or that Irving Berlin wrote it while sitting poolside at an Arizona Resort. This fascinating feature sheds light on the genesis and enduring popularity of the best-selling single in American history.
- Rosemary's Old Kentucky Home -Take a tour of Rosemary Clooney's home in Augusta, Kentucky, which has become a historical landmark.
-White Christmas: From Page to Stage - The legacy of White Christmas continues with a hit Broadway musical, nominated for two Tony awards.
- White Christmas: A Look Back with Rosemary Clooney
- Two Theatrical Trailers
Exclusive HD Content
- Feature film with optional Sing-Along Subtitle Track
- Classic Holiday Moments
- Assignment Children - With introduction by Michael Bublé
- White Christmas Photo Galleries