Free State of Jones Parent Guide
Choose what you fight for.
Free State of Jones
Rating & Content Info
Why is Free State of Jones rated R? Free State of Jones is rated R by the MPAA for brutal battle scenes and disturbing graphic images.
- Frequent non-graphic violence.
- Brief explicit violence with realistic detail, blood and tissue damage.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Frequent portrayals of gun, weapons, and hand-to-hand violence in a war context, with some blood and gruesome detail.
- Depiction of a lynching.
- Depictions of injury and physical assault.
- Scene depicting surgery.
- Occasional upsetting or disturbing scenes.
- Some scenes may frighten children.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Embracing and kissing.
Approximately 14 instances of coarse language including:
- Frequent use of ethno-cultural slurs in a historical context.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang and cursing.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Infrequent portrayals of tobacco and alcohol use in a historical context.
Page last updated July 17, 2017
News About "Free State of Jones"
More About the Movie: Learn more about the real Newton Knight and the rebellion he lead in Jones County, Mississippi. From the Studio: Set during the Civil War, Free State of Jones tells the story of defiant Southern farmer, Newt Knight, and his extraordinary armed rebellion against the Confederacy. Banding together with other small farmers and local slaves, Knight launched an uprising that led Jones County, Mississippi to secede from the Confederacy, creating a Free State of Jones. Knight continued his struggle into Reconstruction, distinguishing him as a compelling, if controversial, figure of defiance long beyond the War. Written by STX Entertainment
Cast and Crew
Free State of Jones is directed by Gary Ross and stars Matthew McConaughey, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Keri Russell.
The most recent home video release of Free State of Jones movie is September 20, 2016. Here are some details…
The Free State of Jones releases to home video on September 20, 2016.