mother! Parent Guide
Rating & Content Info
Why is mother! rated R? mother! is rated R by the MPAA for strong disturbing violent content, some sexuality, nudity and language.Violence:
- Brief explicit violence.
- Violent acts shown in realistic detail with blood and tissue damage.
- Several scenes depicting physical assault and injury.
- Frequent portrayals of gun, weapons, and hand-to-hand violence, with some gory detail.
- Infrequent portrayals of sexual violence, with no nudity and little detail.
- Frequent portrayals of nightmarish imagery.
- Frequent disturbing scenes.
- Detailed gory and grotesque images.
- Three scenes of nudity, depicting buttocks and breasts, in non-sexual contexts.
- Brief buttock nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Crude content.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Infrequent use of the sexual expletive, sometimes in a sexual context.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang and cursing.
- Vulgar expressions and sexual slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Tobacco use.
- Alcohol use.
Page last updated December 19, 2017
News About "mother!"
Darren Aronofsky writes, directs and produces the film mother! His previous work includes Noah (2014) and Black Swan (2010). The bible-based epic was a wash out for religious viewers, but the earlier ballerina thriller, which included a lesbian sex scene, spun him an Oscar nomination for Best Director.
Aronofsky has been very quiet about the details of the 2017 project. But judging from the poster of mother!, that depicts a woman holding a bloody heart that has been ripped out of her chest, he is creating a horror movie. And after watching the teaser trailer where voices echo around a woman walking through an empty house, it looks like he’s tapping into his psychological thriller creativity.
The movie stars some Hollywood heavyweights, including Academy Award winner Jennifer Lawrence (for Silver Linings Playbook) who appears in the aforementioned gory promotional art, along with Javier Bardem (who is depicted in a second, fiery poster), Michelle Pfeiffer, Ed Harris, Domhnall Gleeson and Brian Gleeson.
All that has been released about the plot is a vague synopsis: "A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence."
UPDATE: The film mother! has opened to mixed reviews. Extremely allegorical, it has left many critics wondering what point it is trying to make.
Cast and Crew
mother! is directed by Darren Aronofsky and stars Jennifer Lawrence, Javier Bardem, Ed Harris.
The most recent home video release of mother! movie is December 19, 2017. Here are some details…
mother! releases to home video (Blu-ray) on December 19, 2017, with the following extras:
- Mother! The Downward Spiral
- The Makeup FX of Mother!