Get Our Full Review
A boy named Elliot (Henry Thomas) meets an alien and they become best friends. The little creature personifies every child's dream of the ultimate imaginary playmate, but it is no game when government agents close in on and try to capture the lost space visitor.
Why Is E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Rated PG?
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is rated PG
Here is additional information on sex, violence and profanity in E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial...
A boy named Elliot (Henry Thomas) meets an alien and they become best friends. The little creature personifies every child’s dream of the ultimate imaginary playmate, but it is no game when government agents close in on and try to capture the lost space visitor.
Characters chase alien. Characters take knives with them to investigate intruder. Character threatens siblings. Character falls in tub and is submerged. Characters briefly discuss poison. Character cuts his finger and it bleeds. Characters in cars pursue others on bikes on several occasions. Character is distressed by medical intervention. Characters become increasingly ill and one appears to die.
Sexual Content: A
At least: 3 moderate and 2 mild profanities, 5 terms of Deity used as expletives, and some name-calling.
Alcohol / Drug Use: B
Character drinks beer and becomes intoxicated.
Characters ride bikes without helmets. Character fakes illness, pretends to throw up. Rowdy behavior is shown on school bus. Extended scene includes discussion of frog dissection and attempts to kill frogs. Characters discuss the break-up of parent’s marriage. Characters eavesdrop on house occupants. Under-aged character drives without license.
Home Video Viewing Alternatives
Here are some ideas for home video titles that are related to E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.
Canadian Movie Ratings
Canadian Home Video Rating: PG
Watch @ Home
Details on home video releases of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial...
Home Video Notes: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: 30th Anniversary Edition
Release Date: 9 October 2012
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial releases in a 30th Anniversary Edition. The package includes:
- Blu-ray/DVD/UV Digital Copy of the movie
- All-new Steven Spielberg & E.T. Interview
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere
- Two Deleted Scenes (from the 2002 version)
- Designs, Photographs, and Marketing Elements
- Original Theatrical Trailer & Special Olympics TV Spot
- The E.T. Journals, shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer John Toll (Braveheart)
- A Look Back
- The E.T. Reunion
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams
The E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: 30th Anniversary Edition also releases with a Limited Amazon Exclusive Spaceship. This package, available for a limited time, includes all of the extras listed above, plus a model of the spaceship seen in the movie.
DVD Notes: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: 20th Anniversary Edition
Release Date: October 22, 2002
Twenty years after he first waddled onto the big screen, E. T. The Extra-Terrestrial is back in a special anniversary edition aimed at capturing a new generation of fans. The film sports digitally-enhanced sound and some previously unseen footage retrieved from the cutting room floor. Director Steven Spielberg also took the liberty of re-editing some scenes he was reportedly unhappy with in the original film. Using computer technology to alter the images, he made this film less violent by removing guns from the hands of federal agents.This 20th Anniversary Edition also boosts the following extras:
Disc One: Feature film—2002 version
- A special introduction by Steven Spielberg
- Live performance of John Williams conducting at the 2002 premiere
- An exciting space exploration
Disc Two: Feature film—1982 version
- “Spotlight on Location” featurette
- The Reunion: The cast and filmmakers discuss the impact of the film
- The Evolution and Creation of ET: hundreds of production photographs, conceptual drawings and original advertising in an interactive environment
- DVD-ROM features with Total Axess includes behind-the-scenes footage, interviews, and more.