The Dark Tower Parent Guide
From the imagination of Stephen King.
The Dark Tower
Rating & Content Info
Why is The Dark Tower rated PG-13? The Dark Tower is rated PG-13 by the MPAA for thematic material including sequences of gun violence and action.
- Frequent non-graphic violence.
- Violent depictions, with some acts shown in realistic detail with blood and tissue damage.
- Frequent portrayals of hand-to-hand, weapons, and gun violence, with little blood and detail.
- Infrequent portrayals of frightening creatures and transformations.
- Occasional gory images.
- Occasional disturbing scenes.
- Some scenes may frighten children.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang, cursing, and profanity.
Drug and Alcohol Use:
- Infrequent portrayals of alcohol use in a recreational context.
Page last updated July 24, 2017
News About "The Dark Tower"
Parents may be wondering if The Dark Tower will be kid-friendly. After all, the film stars a young teen (Nicholas Hamilton) in a leading role. Of course, not all movies with youthful characters feature content that is appropriate for viewers the same age as the characters. And this might be the case here. The Dark Tower is based on a series of novels written by horror writer Stephen King. The trailer for the film shows a lot of violent depictions as the teen and the gunslinger team up against the Man in Black. Although the action looks stylized, it will undoubtedly be too frighting for young viewers. Late to receive a rating by the MPAA, The Dark Tower has now (July 19, 2017) been awarded a PG-13, with warnings about its themes and action sequences. Parents with any questions should heed these cautions. Further content details will be posted here as they become available.
Cast and Crew
The Dark Tower is directed by Nikolaj Arcel and stars Katheryn Winnick, Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey .
Related home video titles:
A teen girl finds adventure in another dimension in Tomorrowland.