Making the Grades
Because we only review G, PG, and PG-13 movies at Parent Previews we did not review this title. For your convenience, we have provided some brief information about the film’s synopsis and content.
Based on a comic book, Watchmen follows a group of superheroes that are brought together by their former colleague Rorshach (Jackie Earle Haley) after another of their members is murdered. The investigation into the death of The Comedian (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) uncovers not just a plan to eliminate them, but also a larger diabolical plot threatening to destroy the 1985 world in which they live.
Director: Zack Snyder
Cast: Jackie Earle Haley, Patrick Wilson, Carla Gugino
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Visually explicit portrayals of violence.
- Gory and grotesque mages, including dismemberment and mutilated corpses.
- Psychologically disturbing scenes and situations.
- Depictions of fighting, shootings and explosions.
- Nudity in seen a non-sexual context (buttocks, genitalia and breasts are shown).
- Simulated sexual activity is depicted (partial or full nudity shown).
- Embracing and kissing.
- Sexual references are used.
- Frequent use of coarse language, including blasphemy, profanities and slurs.
Drugs and Alcohol:
- References are made to the use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco.
- Smoking is shown.
Of Special Note:
The animated movie The Incredibles also deals with a plot to destroy superheroes. Other movies about exceptionally gifted individuals include Spider-man, Superman, and Batman. Director Zack Snyder was the creative force behind the movie 300 as well.
Home Video Notes:
Watchmen is releasing to DVD and Blu-ray on July 21, 2009.