|Video Release:||14 Apr 2009|
|See Canadian Ratings|
|How We Determine Our Grades|
p>Release Date: 12 December 2008 (Limited)
Opening Wide: 9 January 2009
Because we only review G, PG, and PG-13 movies at Parent Previews we did not review this title. For your convenience, we have provided some brief information about the film’s synopsis and content.
Synopsis: Michael Berg (Ralph Fiennes) is still haunted by a steamy love affair he had as a teenager (played by David Kross) with an older woman (Kate Winslet) named Hannah Schmitz. What began as reading books to an attractive stranger eventually leads to a heart-searching examination of himself and society when Michael later learns Hannah’s past may include committing criminal atrocities during WWII.
Director: Stephen Daldry
Cast: Kate Winslet, Ralph Fiennes, Bruno Ganz.
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Infrequent depictions of hand-to-hand violence (no blood or detail shown).
- References to war crimes.
- Some scenes may frighten children.
- Frequent portrayals of implied sexual activity, some involving a minor.
- Nudity is seen in a sexual situation.
- Nudity (including depictions of buttocks, breasts and male-frontal nudity) is also seen in non-sexual contexts.
- Portrayals of crude bodily functions.
- Embracing and kissing
- Sexual references and innuendo
- Infrequent profanities.
Drug and Alcohol Use:
- Depictions of tobacco use.
Of Special Note:
In Hearts in Atlantis, a young boy slowly discovers the hidden secrets of his neighbor with failing eyesight when he accepts a job reading the newspaper to him.
Home Video Notes:The Reader releases to DVD and Blu-ray on 14 April 2009.
The Reader is rated R: for some scenes of sexuality and nudity.
Cast: Kate Winslet, Ralph Fiennes, David Kross, Bruno Ganz
Studio: 2008 Weinstein Company
Website: Official site for The Reader.