Making the Grades
Release Date: 5 October 2012 (Limited)
Because we only review G, PG, and PG-13 movies at Parent Previews we did not review this title. For your convenience, we have provided some brief information about the film’s synopsis and content.
Synopsis: When journalist Ward Jansen (Matthew McConaughey) decides to investigate the story behind a death-row inmate (John Cussack), he endangers himself, his innocent brother (Zac Efron) and the not-so-innocent woman (Nicole Kidman) who thinks she’s in love with the convicted murderer. Set in Florida in 1969, this movie is based on a novel by Pete Dexter.
Discussion Ideas After The Movie
Teaching ideas and topics to discuss about The Paperboy.
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Frequent non-graphic violence.
- Brief explicit violence, with realistic detail, blood and tissue damage.
- Graphic portrayals of sexual violence.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Disturbing scenes.
- Depictions of fighting, beating, stabbing and throat-slitting.
- Portrayals of hand-to-hand and weapons violence, with blood and detail shown.
- Breast and buttock nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Nudity in a sexual situation.
- Portrayals of sexual activity in a coercive context (buttock nudity and some detail shown).
- Simulated sexual activity.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Infrequent detailed portrayals of crude bodily functions.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Frequent and aggressive sexual references, slurs and innuendo.
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations, sometimes in a sexual or aggressive context.
- Frequent use of scatological slang, vulgar expressions and profanity.
- Sexual and ethno-cultural slurs, sometimes in an aggressive context.
Drugs and Alcohol:
- Frequent smoking.
- Alcohol abuse.
- Substance abuse.
- Depiction of drug use involving marijuana.