Check Our Content Info & More...
We do not have a full review for this movie because it is rated R in the US and we usually only review G, PG, and PG-13 movies. However we do have details about the content you can expect to see in this movie in the "Content Details" section below.
Like Rip Van Winkle, Joe Doucett (Josh Brolin) has been out of touch with the real world for twenty years. But when he is suddenly released from his lengthy stint in solitary confinement as inexplicitly as he was put there, he wants answers from his mysterious captor. And he'll use any means to get them.
Why Is Oldboy Rated R?
Oldboy is rated R for strong brutal violence, disturbing images, some graphic sexuality and nudity, and language.
Here is additional information on sex, violence and profanity in Oldboy...
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Frequent explicit violence.
- Explicit depictions of stabbing and shooting.
- Violent acts shown in with realistic detail, blood and tissue damage.
- Graphic portrayals of torture and brutality.
- Detailed disturbing scenes.
- Explicit gory and grotesque images.
- Frequent brutal gun, weapons, and hand-to-hand violence, sometimes in the context of torture or suicide, with blood and wound detail.
- Portrayals of sexual activity with breast and buttock nudity, along with some detail.
- Infrequent buttock nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Simulated sexual activity.
- Sexual references, language and innuendo.
- Crude content
- Embracing and kissing.
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations, sometimes in a sexual context.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang, profanity, cursing, vulgar expressions, and sexual slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Frequent tobacco use (smoking).
- Detailed alcohol and substance abuse.
Extra info about this movie
The story of Rip Van Winkle also tells of a man who misses twenty years of his life.
Home Video Viewing Alternatives
Here are some ideas for home video titles that are related to Oldboy.
Another man discovers life has not stood still for his friends and family during the time he spent Cast Away on a deserted isle. Returning to the home of his youth brings back poignant memories for a now grown man in Hearts In Atlantis.
Canadian Movie Ratings
Canadian Home Video Rating: 18A
Watch @ Home
Details on home video releases of Oldboy...
Oldboy releases to home video on March 4, 2014.