Check Our Content Info & More...
We do not have a full review for this movie because it is rated R in the US and we usually only review G, PG, and PG-13 movies. However we do have details about the content you can expect to see in this movie in the "Content Details" section below.
After immigrating to the US in 1921, a desperate and uncertain Ewa Cybulska (Marion Cotillard) accepts the help of a stranger (Joaquin Phoenix), only to be extorted by him and forced into a life of prostitution.
Why Is The Immigrant Rated R?
The Immigrant is rated R for sexual content, nudity and some language.
Here is additional information on sex, violence and profanity in The Immigrant...This additional information about the movie's content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Portrayals of non-graphic violence.
- Depictions of fighting and stabbing.
- Infrequent weapons and hand-to-hand violence, with little blood and detail shown.
- Disturbing scenes.
- Breast nudity seen in a sexual context.
- Breast nudity seen in a non-sexual context, sometimes in a performance context.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Infrequent use of the sexual expletive, sometimes in a sexual context.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang, profanity and vulgar expressions.
- Ethno-cultural and sexual slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- References to drugs, alcohol or tobacco.
Extra info about this movie
Release Date: 16 May 2014 (Limited)
From the Studio: 1921. In search of a new start and the American dream, Ewa Cybulska and her sister Magda sail to New York from their native Poland. When they reach Ellis Island, doctors discover that Magda is ill, and the two women are separated. Ewa is released onto the mean streets of Manhattan while her sister is quarantined. Alone, with nowhere to turn and desperate to reunite with Magda, she quickly falls prey to Bruno, a charming but wicked man who takes her in and forces her into prostitution. And then one day, Ewa encounters Bruno’s cousin, the debonair magician Orlando. He sweeps Ewa off her feet and quickly becomes her only chance to escape the nightmare in which she finds herself.—Written by Wild Bunch
Home Video Viewing Alternatives
Here are some ideas for home video titles that are related to The Immigrant.
Trailers & Clips
Canadian Movie Ratings
Canadian Home Video Rating: 14A
Watch @ Home
Details on home video releases of The Immigrant...
The Immigrant releases to home video on April 7, 2015.