Read Our Full Review & Parent Discussion Questions Here
Rating & Content Info
Why is After Earth rated PG-13? After Earth is rated PG-13 by the MPAA for sci-fi action violence and some disturbing images
Violence: Characters are killed or injured in a spaceship crash. Numerous dead bodies are seen. Scenes of pollution, floods and riots are shown. A monstrous creature kills and impales humans on tree branches or other objects (one scene of such an attack is replayed several times). A ship is battered during an asteroid storm. Animals hunt and attack other animals and humans. A man performs surgery on himself; blood is depicted. A character nearly freezes to death. Brief explicit fighting between a creature and humans involves blood and disturbing images. Characters experience peril on several occasions.
Sexual Content: Brief embracing or kissing is depicted between family members.
Language: Mild cursing is used a couple of times in the script.
Alcohol / Drug Use: Medicinal drugs are administered by injection for life saving purposes.
Page last updated May 27, 2016
|Alberta||PG||Violence, Not Recommended For Young Children.|
|Manitoba||14A||Violence, Gory Scenes.|
|Quebec||G||Not Recommended For Young Children.|
|Canadian Home Video||PG|
News About "After Earth"
Cast and Crew
After Earth is directed by M. Night Shyamalan and stars Will Smith, Jaden Smith, Isabelle Fuhrman, Sophie Okonedo.
The most recent home video release of After Earth movie is October 8, 2013. Here are some details…
Home Video Notes: After Earth
Release Date: 8 October 2013
After Earth releases to home video (Blu-ray/DVD/Ultraviolet Digital Copy) with the following extras:
- Featurette: A Father’s Legacy (Will and Jaden Smith on and off screen)
- Featurette: 1,000 Years in 300 Seconds (On Location with the Cast)
- Featurette: The Nature of the Future (A look at the landscapes and creatures of the film)
- XPRIZE After Earth Robotics Challenge winning video (The reveal of the winning team’s video, with an introduction by Jaden Smith as Kitai Raige)
Exclusive HD Content
- Featurette: Building a World (A glimpse into the creation of the After Earth universe)
- Featurette: Pre-Visualizing the Future (A next-generation approach to action sequences)
- Featurette: The Animatics of After Earth (Storyboards and animatics)
- Alternate Version of the Film’s Opening Sequence
Related home video titles:
Real life father and son Will and Jaden Smith also acted together in The Pursuit of Happyness. Another space traveler lands on an Earth-like orb, but finds it inhospitable to humans in Planet Of The Apes (1968). Mankind was forced to leave their home due to poor ecological management in WALL-E. Director M. Night Shyamalan made a name for himself telling tales with strange twists with the movies The Sixth Sense and The Village.