Fifty Shades of Grey Parent Guide
His control issues extend from the board room to the bedroom...
Fifty Shades of Grey
Rating & Content Info
Why is Fifty Shades of Grey rated R? Fifty Shades of Grey is rated R by the MPAA for strong sexual content including dialogue, some unusual behavior and graphic nudity, and for language.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We have not seen nor reviewed Fifty Shades of Grey but we do have the content information below to assist you with making your decision. This information comes from public domain sources, mainly government film classification boards. Please beware that this movie is highly unlikely to be suitable for teen viewing, even though teens in the United States may be admitted if accompanied by someone 17 years of age or older. In Canada (expect Quebec) and the UK, teens are unable to be admitted. (In Quebec you must be 16 or over to see the film.)
We have also written a couple of posts about this film that help explain some of the concerns and details of how the US MPAA rating operates:
Fifty Shades of Grey: Valentines Bait for Teens?
Medical Experts: Fifty Shades of Grey "Hazardous to Young Women"
This additional information about the movie's content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Portrayals of non-graphic violence.
- Depictions of slapping and whipping.
- Disturbing and offensive scenes.
- Several scenes of nudity, depicting breasts, buttocks and/or pubic region, in sexual contexts.
- Portrayals of BDSM (Bondage/Discipline, Sadism/Masochism) with breast and buttock nudity, and some detail.
- Female frontal nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Nudity in a sexual situation.
- Simulated sexual activity.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Crude content.
Approximately 19 instances of coarse and/or sexual language including:
- Infrequent use of the sexual expletive, sometime in a sexual context.
- Infrequent use of detailed sexual language and references.
- Limited use of slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Alcohol abuse.
- Substance abuse.
Page last updated July 17, 2017
More parents' guide for Fifty Shades of Grey after the break...
News About "Fifty Shades of Grey"
This movie is based on an erotic novel by E.L. James. Parents should be aware that this story (both the book and movie) depicts a consensual sexual relationship that flirts with violence, including bondage sex.
Cast and Crew
Fifty Shades of Grey is directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson and stars Dakota Johnson, Jamie Dornan, Jennifer Ehle, Max Martini.
The most recent home video release of Fifty Shades of Grey movie is May 8, 2015. Here are some details…
Fifty Shades Of Grey releases to home video on May 8, 2015.