Posted September 12, 2002 and updated on May 1, 2009
Talk to your kids about…
This movie provides great discussion opportunities for your family or a classroom:
- Why wouldn’t refugees always be happy to live in a prosperous new land like the United States?
- What responsibility do developed countries have to provide protection for refugees?
- Do you think ethnic groups are best off living together (like Little Saigon) or dispersed? Do we tend to naturally group with people with similar backgrounds/social status/religions anyway?
- Imagine you have had to leave your home with only the clothes you are wearing to begin a new life in a foreign country. What things would concern you the most?
- Filmmakers use a variety of techniques to trigger emotions from the audiences. Notice the different types of color in this movie - compare especially the earlier scenes to those where the young nephew makes friends with the cook. Note as well how the movie becomes more colorful and warmer as it progresses.