|See Canadian Ratings|
|How We Determine Our Grades|
After watching a movie with your children or students, we encourage parents and teachers to look for education opportunities to teach with movies. Here are a few discussion topics that can help with lesson plans or teaching in the home.
This movie poses many questions about reality vs. the Hollywood fantasy of coming-of-age adventure. You may want to ask some “critical thinking” questions like:
- How much money could a girl with little vocal experience expect to make for singing one karaoke song?
- How much would it cost to drive across the US and stay in reasonably nice hotel rooms, including one located on a California beach?
- Considering the rumors about Ben’s past, what should the girls have done first to determine if he was safe to share a ride with?
- If the character of Lucy was really as sexually innocent as she claimed to be, is it reasonable to assume she would have been able to provide such a “moving performance” in the karaoke bar?
- Lucy says she doesn’t want to enter into a sexual relationship until she knows she loves someone. Examining the time frame of this movie, how long did she know Ben? Is that a reasonable length of time to ensure a solid commitment?
- Do you believe losing your virginity is a prerequisite to college admission?