Why is Dallas Buyers Club rated R?
Official MPAA Rating: Dallas Buyers Club is rated R for for pervasive language, some strong sexual content, nudity and drug use.
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Portrayals of non-graphic violence
- Depictions of fighting and choking.
- Detailed disturbing/offensive scenes.
- Frequent portrayals of sexual activity with some breast nudity and detail.
- Infrequent breast and buttock nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Simulated sexual activity.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Frequent use of crude sexual language.
- Sexual references, slurs and innuendo.
Approximately 200 instances of coarse language including:
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations, sometimes in an aggressive context.
- Frequent use of scatological slang, profanity, cursing, and vulgar expressions.
- Sexual and ethno-cultural slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Detailed portrayals of drug use involving cocaine.
- Frequent tobacco use.
- Detailed alcohol abuse.
- Substance abuse.