Why is Savages rated R?
Official MPAA Rating: Savages is rated R for for strong brutal and grisly violence, some graphic sexuality, nudity, drug use and language throughout.
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Graphic portrayals of torture and brutality.
- Frequent, visually explicit portrayals of violence.
- Explicit depiction of shooting.
- Depictions of beating, stabbing, shooting, burning, whipping and explosion.
- Sexual violence.
- Detailed gory and grotesque images including blood and detailed wounds.
- Frequent upsetting and disturbing scenes.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Buttocks nudity seen in sexual situations.
- Breast nudity seen in a non-sexual context.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Simulated sexual activity.
- Crude content.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Approximately 139 instances of coarse language.
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations, sometimes in a sexual or aggressive contexts.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang.
- Ethno-cultural slurs.
Drugs and Alcohol:
- Detailed and graphic portrayals of alcohol and substance abuse.
- Ten scenes of drug use involving marijuana and cocaine.
- Tobacco use.