Why is The Place Beyond The Pines rated R?
Official MPAA Rating: The Place Beyond The Pines is rated R for for language throughout, some violence, teen drug and alcohol use, and a sexual reference
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Brief explicit violence.
- Depictions of beating, fighting and shooting.
- Violent acts shown in a realistic manner with detail, blood and tissue damage.
- Disturbing scenes.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Some scenes may frighten children.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Crude content.
Approximately 191 instances of coarse language, including:
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations in a non-sexual context.
- Frequent use of scatological slang.
- Infrequent use of profanity, cursing, and crude sexual references.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Three scenes of drug use involving marijuana and opiates.
- Frequent tobacco use (smoking).
- Alcohol abuse.
- Infrequent portrayals of prescription drug abuse.