Why is Oldboy rated R?
Official MPAA Rating: Oldboy is rated R for for strong brutal violence, disturbing images, some graphic sexuality and nudity, and language.
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Frequent explicit violence.
- Explicit depictions of stabbing and shooting.
- Violent acts shown in with realistic detail, blood and tissue damage.
- Graphic portrayals of torture and brutality.
- Detailed disturbing scenes.
- Explicit gory and grotesque images.
- Frequent brutal gun, weapons, and hand-to-hand violence, sometimes in the context of torture or suicide, with blood and wound detail.
- Portrayals of sexual activity with breast and buttock nudity, along with some detail.
- Infrequent buttock nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Simulated sexual activity.
- Sexual references, language and innuendo.
- Crude content
- Embracing and kissing.
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations, sometimes in a sexual context.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang, profanity, cursing, vulgar expressions, and sexual slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Frequent tobacco use (smoking).
- Detailed alcohol and substance abuse.
|British Columbia||18A||Explicit Violence, Sexually Suggestive Scenes.|
|Alberta||18A||Brutal Violence, Disturbing Content.|
|Manitoba||18A||Brutal Violence, Gory Scenes, Sexual Content.|
|Ontario||18A||Brutal Violence, Coarse Language, Sexual Content.|
|Quebec||16+||Violence, Vulgar Language.|
|Canadian Home Video||18A|