Why is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo rated R?
Official MPAA Rating: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is rated R for for brutal violent content including rape and torture, strong sexuality, graphic nudity, and language.
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Brief explicit violence.
- Sexual violence (including buttock nudity and disturbing detail).
- Hand-to-hand and weapons violence.
- Explicit torture.
- Detailed disturbing scenes.
- Violent acts shown in a realistic manner with detailed wounds and blood.
- Infrequent portrayals of sexual activity, with breast, buttock, and brief female frontal nudity (some detail shown).
- Infrequent breast and buttock nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Nudity shown in torture and violent situations.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Sexual innuendo and references.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Simulated sexual activity.
- Infrequent use of the sexual expletive in a non-sexual context
- Infrequent use of scatological slang and cursing.
Drugs and Alcohol:
- Frequent tobacco use.