Why is Blue Valentine rated R?
Official MPAA Rating: Blue Valentine is rated R for on appeal for strong graphic sexual content, language, and a beating. Appeal Overturned. Previously rated NC-17 in 2010.
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Two scenes depicting hand-to-hand violence, one in a domestic context (some blood and detail shown).
- Violent acts shown in a realistic manner with blood and details.
- Some scenes may frighten children.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Frequent portrayals of simulated sexual activity with breast and buttock nudity shown.
- One portrayal of breast and buttock nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Sexual references.
- Infrequent use of crude sexual language and slurs.
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive in non-sexual contexts.
- Frequent use of scatological slang, profanity, and vulgar expressions.
Drugs and Alcohol:
- Frequent tobacco use.
- Infrequent portrayals of alcohol consumption to excess.
- Detailed portrayal of a medical procedure (no nudity or blood shown).
|British Columbia||14A||Sexually Suggestive Scenes.|
|Manitoba||18A||Sexual Content, Tobacco Use/Promotion.|
|Ontario||18A||Coarse Language, Sexual Content.|
|Canadian Home Video||18A|