|See Canadian Ratings|
|How We Determine Our Grades|
Why Is 12 Years a Slave Rated R?
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Frequent explicit violence.
- Detailed disturbing scenes.
- Frequent portrayals of brutal hand-to-hand and weapons violence in the context of slavery, with blood and detailed wounds.
- Depictions of stabbing, hanging, choking, fighting and whipping.
- Explicit torture.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Violent acts shown in a realistic manner, with details, blood and tissue damage.
- Scene of sexual violence, depicting beating.
- Sexually suggestive scene.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Four instances of non-sexual nudity (male and female) depicting breasts, buttocks and genitalia.
- Nudity shown in violent (torture) situation.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Simulated sexual activity.
Approximately 85 instances of coarse language including:
- Pervasive use of ethno-cultural slurs.
-Infrequent aggressive use of profanity and sexual slurs.
Drug and Alcohol Use:
- Alcohol abuse.