The Birth of a Nation Parent Guide
If peace won't work, try war.
The Birth of a Nation
Rating & Content Info
Why is The Birth of a Nation rated R? The Birth of a Nation is rated R by the MPAA for disturbing violent content, and some brief nudity.
- Frequent explicit violence.
- Depictions of lynching, decapitation, corpses and injury.
- Frequent portrayals of gun, hand-to-hand, and weapons violence, in a combat and/or slavery context.
- Some violent depictions involve children.
- Violent acts shown in realistic detail with blood and tissue damage.
- Upsetting or disturbing scenes.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Infrequent references to sexual violence, with no detail.
- Breast nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Nudity in a brief sexual situation.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
Approximately 28 instances of coarse language including:
- Frequent use of racial slurs in a historical context.
- Infrequent mild cursing.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Tobacco use.
- Alcohol use.
Page last updated January 10, 2017
News About "The Birth of a Nation"
Cast and Crew
The Birth of a Nation is directed by Nate Parker and stars Nate Parker, Armie Hammer, Mark Boone Junior.
This movie is based on the true story of Nat Turner and his 1831 rebellion.
From the Studio:
Set against the antebellum South, THE BIRTH OF A NATION follows Nat Turner (Nate Parker), a literate slave and preacher, whose financially strained owner, Samuel Turner (Armie Hammer), accepts an offer to use Nat's preaching to subdue unruly slaves. As he witnesses countless atrocities - against himself and his fellow slaves - Nat orchestrates an uprising in the hopes of leading his people to freedom.
Written by Fox Searchlight Pictures
The most recent home video release of The Birth of a Nation movie is January 10, 2017. Here are some details…
Birth of a Nation releases to home video on January 10, 2017.