The Birth of a Nation Parent Guide
If peace won't work, try war.
The Birth of a Nation
Rating & Content Info
Why is The Birth of a Nation rated R? The Birth of a Nation is rated R by the MPAA for disturbing violent content, and some brief nudity.
- Frequent explicit violence.
- Depictions of lynching, decapitation, corpses and injury.
- Frequent portrayals of gun, hand-to-hand, and weapons violence, in a combat and/or slavery context.
- Some violent depictions involve children.
- Violent acts shown in realistic detail with blood and tissue damage.
- Upsetting or disturbing scenes.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Infrequent references to sexual violence, with no detail.
- Breast nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Nudity in a brief sexual situation.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
Approximately 28 instances of coarse language including:
- Frequent use of racial slurs in a historical context.
- Infrequent mild cursing.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Tobacco use.
- Alcohol use.
Page last updated July 17, 2017
More parents' guide for The Birth of a Nation after the break...
News About "The Birth of a Nation"
This movie is based on the true story of Nat Turner and his 1831 rebellion.
From the Studio:
Set against the antebellum South, THE BIRTH OF A NATION follows Nat Turner (Nate Parker), a literate slave and preacher, whose financially strained owner, Samuel Turner (Armie Hammer), accepts an offer to use Nat's preaching to subdue unruly slaves. As he witnesses countless atrocities - against himself and his fellow slaves - Nat orchestrates an uprising in the hopes of leading his people to freedom.
Written by Fox Searchlight Pictures
Cast and Crew
The Birth of a Nation is directed by Nate Parker and stars Nate Parker, Armie Hammer, Mark Boone Junior.
The most recent home video release of The Birth of a Nation movie is January 10, 2017. Here are some details…
Birth of a Nation releases to home video on January 10, 2017.