Get Our Full Review
Milo Thatch (voiced by Michael J. Fox) is an earnest, sometimes bumbling, young mapmaker who sets out to find the lost city of Atlantis and save it from a group of plundering explorers.
Why Is Atlantis: The Lost Empire Rated PG?
Atlantis: The Lost Empire is rated PG for action violence
Here is additional information on sex, violence and profanity in Atlantis: The Lost Empire...
Overall: B An adventurous young mapmaker sets out to find the lost city of Atlantis and save it from a group of plundering explorers.
Violence: C+ Large wave drowns pilots and covers a city destroying part of it and causing the death of many inhabitants, woman shown with gun, scene shows sunken ships on bottom of ocean, mechanical monster attacks sub, shots are fired at the monster, explosions on ship, torpedoes are fired, submarine explodes, many crewmembers are killed, mini subs use electrical shocks to fight off monster, people are startled by a monster, man uses explosive to make a bridge, members of expedition make fun of one crew member and play practical jokes on him including making him think he has drunk an explosive liquid, fire flies turn into explosive ball of fire, equipment bursts into flames, people fight fire, truck explodes, bridge blows up, man falls and cuts shoulder, blood is shown, masked warriors with spears surround men, men use guns to take hostages, men steal items, leave others to die, man is hurt in fight and later dies of wounds, man is hit and pushed down, people attack others with flying machines, extended scene of fighting between mercenaries and others including lots of shooting with airplanes, military guns and rifles, girl is thrown from hot air balloon and falls, men fight with an axe, man’s arm cut with piece of glass, man turns into monster, man is hit and bleeds, ship explodes, volcano erupts and lava flow causes damage.
Sexual Content: B- Woman in low cut dress with thigh high slit in skirt, scene implies that man’s housecoat falls down revealing naked body, man says he will kiss another man full on the mouth, native women wear short skirts and bikini tops, woman comments on sleeping in the nude, man shown in underwear, man’s underwear revealed in practical joke, woman removes skirt to reveal a tiny swimsuit, woman has tank top strap that slides down her arm.
Language: A- At least on term of Deity used as an expletive.
Alcohol / Drug Use: B- Men drink whiskey in social gathering, female character shown smoking at least 9 times as well as holding a cigarette on other occasions.
Home Video Viewing Alternatives
Here are some ideas for home video titles that are related to Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
Disney’s live action movie, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is a similar underwater adventure to check out. Titan AE is another example of a non-musical animated sci-fi / adventure, while Dreamwork’s Road To El Dorado is a song and dance animation that searches for another mythical city.
News & Views About Atlantis: The Lost Empire:
10 Famous Faces We Lost in 2014Robin Williams appears in one of his final movie roles in Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb. In it, he reprises his role as the heroic U.S. President Teddy Roosevelt. Near the end of the film, Teddy says his final good-byes to Larry, the museum security guard. ...
Canadian Movie Ratings
Canadian Home Video Rating: PG
Watch @ Home
Details on home video releases of Atlantis: The Lost Empire...
Home Video Notes: Atlantis: The Lost Empire & Atlantis: Milo’s Return
Release Date: 11 June 2013
Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Atlantis: Milo’s Return release to home video in a 2 Movie Collection (on Blu-ray and DVD) with the following extras:
- Disc 1 - Blu-ray copy of Two Feature Films: Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Atlantis: Milo’s Return with Disney Enhanced High Definition Picture and Sound.
- Deleted Scenes
- The Making Of Atlantis
- How To Speak Atlantean
- Atlantis - Fact Or Fiction?
Disc 2 - DVD Feature Film: Atlantis: The Lost Empire
- Atlantis - The Lost Empire
- The Making Of Atlantis
- How To Speak Atlantean
Disc 3 - DVD Feature Film: Atlantis: Milo’s Return
- Atlantis - Milo’s Return
- Deleted Scene
Home Video Notes: Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Release Date: 29 January 2002
Atlantis: The Lost Empire releases to home video (DVD) with the following extras:
- Deleted Scene: Viking Prologue
- Virtual Tours Of CG Models—3-D Model Turnarounds Including The “Ulysses” Submarine, Leviathan, And Shepherd’s Journal
- Whitmore Industries Industrial Film—Meet The Benefactor Who Made The Expedition Possible
- DisneyPedia Atlantis: Fact Or Fiction—Fun And Interesting Theories About The Lost Continent Of Atlantis
- “How To Speak Atlantean”—With The Famous Linguist Who Developed The Atlantean Language
- Digital To Digital Transfer
- Visual Commentary—Go Behind The Scenes With The Producer And Directors And See Additional Footage On The “Making Of” Process
- Multiple Platform Navigation System (3-D Menus With 3 Viewing Modes): Explore Mode (Tour The 3-D Environment Of The “Ulysses” Submarine And Select Menu Options); Tour Mode (Enjoy All Bonus Features As One Continuous Program); Files Mode (Rapid Navigation -—Every Bonus Feature Listed In Sequential Order).
- Story & Editorial
- Abandoned Sequences
- Art Direction
- Animation Production
- Character Designs
- Music & Sound Design