Annihilation Parent Guide
Curiosity may kill you.
Rating & Content Info
Why is Annihilation rated R? Annihilation is rated R by the MPAA for violence, bloody images, language and some sexuality.Violence:
- Explicit violence.
- Non-graphic violence.
- Violent acts shown in realistic detail with blood and tissue damage.
- Depictions of depicting of injury and physical assault.
- Frequent portrayals of gun, weapons, and hand-to-hand violence, with blood and gory detail.
- Frequent portrayals of monsters, transformations, and frightening scenes, with blood and gory detail.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Disturbing scenes.
- Mild sexual references.
- Crude content.
- Infrequent portrayals of sexual activity, with some detail and no nudity.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Embracing and kissing.
Approximately 29 instances of coarse and/or sexual language, including:
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variation.
- Frequent use of scatological slang.
- Infrequent use of cursing, profanity, and vulgar expressions/
- Limited use of slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Alcohol use.
Page last updated February 14, 2018
More parents' guide for Annihilation after the break...
News About "Annihilation"
From the Studio"
Lena (Natalie Portman), a biologist and former soldier, joins a mission to uncover what happened to her husband inside Area X - a sinister and mysterious phenomenon that is expanding across the American coastline. Once inside, the expedition discovers a world of mutated landscape and creatures, as dangerous as it is beautiful, that threatens both their lives and their sanity.
- Paramount Pictures
This movie is is based on Jeff VanderMeer’s book Annihilation, which is part of the Southern Reach Trilogy.
This first story in the saga introduces a mysterious realm hidden behind a simmering wall. Entering Area X are a biologist, a surveyor, a psychologist and a linguist. In the movie, there are five lead characters played by Natalie Portman, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Each of the women uses her past training to try to understand this new world. But the more they explore, the less they understand.
Cast and Crew
Annihilation is directed by Alex Garland and stars Natalie Portman, Tessa Thompson, Oscar Isaac.