American Assassin Parent Guide
Rating & Content Info
Why is American Assassin rated R? American Assassin is rated R by the MPAA for strong violence throughout, some torture, language and brief nudity.Violence:
- Frequent explicit violence.
- Violent acts shown in realistic detail with blood and tissue damage.
- Pervasive portrayals of gun, weapons, vehicular, and hand-to-hand violence, with blood and some brutal detail.
- Explicit torture.
- Frequent scenes of physical assault and injury.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Disturbing scenes.
- Sexual references and language.
- Infrequent breast nudity in a non-sexual context.
- Crude content.
- Embracing and kissing.
Approximately 65 instances of coarse language, including:
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations in a non-sexual context.
- Frequent use of scatological slang.
- Infrequent use of cursing, profanity, and vulgar expressions.
- Limited use of slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Tobacco use.
Page last updated November 1, 2017
More parents' guide for American Assassin after the break...
News About "American Assassin"
This movie is based on a book series featuring Mitch Rapp, written by Vince Flynn. No stranger to struggle himself, Flynn began his writing career as a part time hobby and self-published his first book, Term Limits. His success as a New York Times Best Selling Author is even more remarkable considering he was diagnosed with dyslexia as a child and found reading and writing to be a challenge. Penning 15 books, Flynn passed away after a lengthy battle with prostate cancer in 2013.
The movie American Assassin is being produced by Lionsgate and CBS Films. Starring Dylan O'Brien as Mitch Rapp, the film is reminiscent of the Jason Borne franchise. A Red-band trailer has been released to promote the film, meaning it features content too explicit to be shown to all audiences. That means the movie will likewise have strong content, and will likely garner an R rating from the MPAA.
Expect frequent violent acts and non-stop action in this story about an injured soul who has experienced the loss of his parents and his finance. Channeling that anger to a better cause, Rapp becomes a Black Op for the CIA and trains to take out terrorist and traitors alike.
Cast and Crew
American Assassin is directed by Michael Cuesta and stars Michael Keaton, Dylan O'Brien, Taylor Kitsch.
The most recent home video release of American Assassin movie is December 5, 2017. Here are some details…
American Assassin releases to home video on December 5, 2017, with the following supplements:
- Alamo Drafthouse Q&A with Dylan O’Brien and Taylor Kitsch
- Target Acquired: Creating an American Assassin” Featurette
- “Finding Mitch Rapp: Dylan O’Brien” Featurette
- “Transfer of Power: Hurley and Ghost” Featurette
- “Weaponized: Training and Stunts” Featurette
- “In the Field: Locations” Featurette