|Video Release:||02 Nov 2010|
|See Canadian Ratings|
|How We Determine Our Grades|
Home Video Extra Features
Blu-ray Notes: The Bridge on the River Kwai
Release Date: 2 November 2010
The Bridge on the River Kwai releases to Blu-ray with the following bonus extras:
- DVD and Blu-ray copies of the film.
- William Holden and Alec Guinness on The Steve Allen Show
- The Bridge on the River Kwai Premiere, Narrated by William Holden
- Crossing the Bridge:Picture-in-Graphics Track
- Four Featurettes: Making of The Bridge on the River Kwai, USC short film introduced by William Holden, An Appreciation by Filmmaker John Milius and Rise and Fall of a Jungle Giant.
- Photo Gallery
- Replicas of the original theatrical lobby cards
- 35 page book with stories and photos from the production
DVD Notes:The Bridge on the River Kwai
Release Date: November 21, 2000
If you don’t yet appreciate the differences between the “aspect ratios” of a typical VHS tape and a DVD, then check this classic out on the shiny disc. The film was shot in a super-wide 1:2.55 ratio (most movies are 1:1.85 or 1:2.35). Unfortunately, we could only get our hands on the standard release which features a 1:2.35 “crop” of the original. Still, it was wonderful to see this award winning work of art in its widescreen splendor.
For the absolute purist, look for the Limited Edition release which features a two disc set and the movie in it’s complete 1:2.55 ratio. Amazingly, it sells on Amazon at this moment (June 2002) for only 3 cents more than the standard edition!
DVD notes by Rod Gustafson
- Studio: Columbia Tri-Star
- Theatrical release date: December 18, 1957
- DVD release date: November 21, 2000
- Runtime: 162 minutes
- Production company: Columbia Tri-Star
- Package type: Keep Case
- Aspect ratio: Widescreen anamorphic - 2.55:1
- DVD encoding: Region 1
- Available audio tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1), English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), Spanish (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono), French (Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono).
- Available subtitles: English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Thai
- Theatrical trailer(s)
- Exclusive Documentary: “The Making of the Bridge on the River Kwai”
- Original Featurette: “The Rise and Fall of a Jungle Giant”
- USC Short Film Narrated by William Holden
- An Appreciation and Discussion by Filmmaker John Milius
- Talent files for David Lean, Alec Guiness, William Holden, Jack Hawkins and Sessue Hayakawa
- Photo Montage (International Posters and Lobby Cards)
- Behind the Scenes Footage