Release Date: 28 October 2011
Because we only review G, PG, and PG-13 movies at Parent Previews we did not review this title. For your convenience, we have provided some brief information about the film’s synopsis and content.
Paul Kemp (Johnny Depp) is wasting away in Puerto Rico. Originally a journalist, the American ex-pat fills his time writing for a local rag, drinking, womanizing, and trying to schmooze the elite crowd of this 1950s tropical paradise. The movie is based on a book by Hunter S. Thompson.
Content Details: Beyond the Movie Ratings...
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Occasional upsetting and disturbing scenes.
- Portrayals of non-graphic violence.
- Brief portrayals of graphic violence.
- Depictions of fighting, weapons use, beating and burning.
- Suspenseful situations.
- Two portrayals of violence toward animals in a gambling context.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Breast nudity in a sexual situation.
- Simulated sexual activity (some detail).
- Crude content
- Embracing and kissing
- Implied sexual activity
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations, sometimes in sexual contexts
- Frequent use of scatological slang, profanity, cursing, and vulgar expressions.
- Use of sexual and ethno-cultural slurs.
Drugs and Alcohol:
- Frequent portrayals of illegal drug and excessive alcohol use for recreational purposes (some detail).
- Tobacco use.
Discussion Ideas: Talk About the Movie...
This movie is based on a book by Hunter S. Thompson.
Home Video Notes
The Rum Diary releases to home video on February 14, 2012.