Content Details: Beyond the Movie Ratings...
- Brief non-graphic violence.
- Infrequent portrayals of hand-to-hand violence in domestic and bullying contexts, with no blood or detail.
- Some scenes may frighten children.
- Implied sexual activity.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Infrequent use of detailed sexual language.
- Sexual references.
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive and variations, sometimes in aggressive or sexual contexts.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang, profanity, cursing, and vulgar expressions.
- Infrequent use of ethno-cultural and sexual slurs.
Alcohol / Drug Use:
- Infrequent portrayals of alcohol and tobacco use and abuse.
- Infrequent portrayals of illegal substance use (marijuana) with little detail.
Discussion Ideas: Talk About the Movie...
From the Studio: Filmed over 12 years with the same cast, Richard Linklater’s BOYHOOD is a groundbreaking story of growing up as seen through the eyes of a child named Mason (a breakthrough performance by Ellar Coltrane), who literally grows up on screen before our eyes. Starring Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as Mason’s parents and newcomer Lorelei Linklater as his sister Samantha, BOYHOOD charts the rocky terrain of childhood like no other film has before. Snapshots of adolescence from road trips and family dinners to birthdays and graduations and all the moments in between become transcendent, set to a soundtrack spanning the years from Coldplay’s Yellow to Arcade Fire’s Deep Blue. BOYHOOD is both a nostalgic time capsule of the recent past and an ode to growing up and parenting.—Written by IFC Films
Director Richard Linklater certainly gets credit for both creativity and patience. He used a similar approach in making his romantic trilogy (Before Sunrise - 1995, Before Sunset - 2004 and Before Midnight - 2013), which follows the same couple at nine-year intervals, also played by the same cast (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy).
Home Video Notes
Boyhood releases to home video (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy) on January 6, 2015. Special features include: - The 12 Year Project - Q&A with Richard Linklater and the Cast