Release Date: 11 January 2013
Because we only review G, PG, and PG-13 movies at Parent Previews we did not review this title. For your convenience, we have provided some brief information about the film’s synopsis and content.
Synopsis: When east coast mobsters move west in the 1940s, the Los Angeles Police Department declares a private war, enlisting officers who are willing to go beyond the limits of the law. Based on a true story, this film features Sean Penn, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Giovanni Ribisi and Josh Brolin.
The release date for Gangster Squad has been moved from September 7, 2012 to January 11, 2013. This change may be due to the film’s inclusion of a scene depicting a mass shooting in a theater. Considering the events of late July 2012, when a gunman killed patrons at a screening of The Dark Knight Rises, this portrayal was likely considered to be too sensitive. Gangster Squad will open wide on January 11, 2013.
Content Details: Beyond the Movie Ratings...
This additional information about the movie’s content is taken from the notes of various Canadian Film Classification boards:
- Frequent non-graphic violence.
- Frequent explicit violence.
- Depictions of beating, shooting, stabbing, mutilation, burning and explosion.
- Violent acts shown in a realistic manner with details, blood and tissue damage.
- Detailed disturbing scenes.
- Gory and grotesque images.
- Sexual references and innuendo.
- Embracing and kissing.
- Frequent use of the sexual expletive in a non-sexual context.
- Frequent use of profanity, crude sexual expressions and vulgar expressions.
- Infrequent use of scatological slang.
- Frequent use of ethno-cultural slurs.
Drugs and Alcohol:
- Frequent tobacco use (smoking).
Discussion Ideas: Talk About the Movie...
This movie is based on the book Gangster Squad, by Paul Lieberman. For his explanation of how the book turned Hollywood movie, click here: http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/article/102708/Leapfrogging-the-Book-A-Newspaper-Story-Jumps-to-Film.aspx
Home Video Notes
Gangster Squad releases to home video no April 23, 2013.